Singhadwar (Miyung horglai)

This monument is known as a Singhadwar (Lion gate) or Miyung Horglai, it is a gateway to the capital (Khaspur) complex of Dimasa kachari kingdom.

This historical monument is knows as Singhadwar (Lion gate) and also as Miyung horglai in Dimasa language where “Miyung” means elephant and “Horglai” refers to gate. This is a gateway to the capital complex of Dimasa Kachari kingdom built during the reign of Dimasa king Harishchandra in the year 1757 at Khaspur, Cachar (Assam). The monument is known as Miyung horglai because of the two reason, firstly the whole structure of this gate resembles the shape of an elephant and secondly, during the king’s reign this gate used to be an entrance gate through which the king used to enter his royal complex riding on elephants and horses. This entrance gate has two side rooms which is made for watchman, the entire structure is made of burnt bricks and fully plastered with lime surkhi.

Cultural Narrative: 

The full line to line translation of the above short interview video on the royal gate of Dimasa kachari kingdom which is known as Singhadwar or Miyung Horglai, narrated by Romaranjan Barman Phonglo of Khaspur, Thaligram village.

Monali: Ning ebu dwar ni grao ha gicha shainthiphunang ?

Monali: Can you tell little about this gate ?

Romaranjan: Ebuke jing Kharmin ha khanare je ebuke Raja Harishchandra ni somoy ha shlamba 1757 ha, ebuke nabani shlamba buni karon jabokha ebuke “Miyug horglai” thihi kkhrib bo thamaidu, kharaorao bo thihi phaiba Miyung horglai. Miyung horglai manai nadi thikhala ebu mashi raja skang ha Miyung gahi phaire odehe Miyung gahi go ejang habhi se Rajbari ha thangre ne thikala ebu mashi entrance se, Rajbari hisab ha khub sombov jini ujang gadeh dongnaiba ujang ni phrang phaihi Raja Miyung, Gorai gahi phaidada ejangke thangre odhe ashaba thagma thikabo ebo lamah ke ning yaowaibase odehe eraha Raja ni kormokari graode Raja ni chowkidar ejang habdada dongrene ejang shoshi, ejang shoshi. Raja ni la shatru ke naimani klaihi, shatru phaidu-phaiya naimane klaihi eraha guard buthu dongre odehe guard buthu raokhire odehe Raja bo ejang jahi thangre khrib bo ejang jahi thangre odebani ebo Noh ke jing shlamba thihi khanare.

Romaranjan: We have heard about it in the stories that it was built during the reign of king Harishchandra in the year 1757 and the reason behind its construction was that this gate is also Known as “Miyung horglai” by everyone including the elderly people too. This Miyung horglai is an entrance gate through which the king earlier used to enter his Royal palace riding on elephants and horses. In early days the royal palace must have been on our side and the king used to come from that side riding on elephants and horses, if the king had to go anywhere he used to through this route. Here, two of the king’s guard used to stand here, one here and other that side so that they could see if any king’s enemy is coming or not. We have heard from the elderly people that the king and the other people used to go and come through this route, that is why this gate has been built.

Add new comment